Since 2014, not digital since 2016. Still teaches it though.
"Learning to print was easy, learning to paint is an ongoing process. Every piece is unique, editions are boring. Trying to capture Contemporary Streetart, if that's a thing? I've learnt a lot from my mistakes."
Blending the boundaries between Contemporary Art and Streetart.
Steve Smythe creates a range of work that explores collage, screenprinting, mixed media and unique layered images that are reminiscent of deteriorating paste-ups. Often combining iconic figures with torn text in a variety of fonts, Steve's prints and collages are rich in detail and texture. Avoiding editions and a belief in creating something unique with every piece of art.
With a library of silk screens and a tendency to get bored Steve floats between collage, screenprinting and mixed media works.
Currently a Lecturer of Visual Communications, Steve has a degree in Product Design and a teaching degree from Cambridge University.
A self-taught artist, he began creating his work in early 2013 (After several years of creating design work for other people). For Steve art gives him the freedom to work without boundaries, to do whatever he wants, no constraints, no brief, no amendments, no clients believing they know better. It's a freedom to work and explore in a manor not possible within the life design.
Inspired by Nouveau Realism, decollage, torn street posters and artists such as Jacques Villeglé and Raymond Hains, Steve’s work incorporates layers of paint, mixed media, spray paint and screenprint. Steve’s images explore both human and typographical forms, figuratively and in a graphical sense. He is fascinated by the deconstruction of layers and allowing the work to take its own form of visual distortion, somewhere between existence and demise.
- 2014 Affordable Art Fairs London
- 2015 Affordable Art Fairs London
- 2015 Affordable Art Fairs Hamburg
- 2016 Affordable Art Fairs London
- 2016 Stroke Art Fair Munich
- 2016 Group Exhibition - Turner Barnes Gallery
- 2016 Affordable Art Fair New York
- 2017 Affordable Art Fair Hong Kong
- 2017 Group Exhibition - Blackburn Open Walls
- 2017 Group Exhibition - Turner Barnes Gallery
- 2017 Affordable Art Fair - London
- 2017 Ink - London (Darkhouse Gallery & Duke of York Theatre)
- 2017 Group Show - Nuclear Winter Wonderland - Leontia Gallery
Artrepublic - Brighton
Lilford Gallery - Folkestone
Folly & Muse - London
Hung Up Ltd - Nottingham
Turner Barnes Gallery - Brentwood
ArtSnug - London
Lilac Gallery - New York
Monaco Art Gallery - Monaco
Brickwork Gallery - London.
Leontia Gallery - London